Born of Czech parents in 1973, Andrea Keller grew up in Sydney, Australia.
Convinced from a young age that she would be a musician, she studied piano, flute and saxophone at the Sydney Conservatorium High School. Inspired by her older brother, she penned her first compositions at the age of 10, and received her A-mus-a with distinction on piano at age 14. It was around this time that she was introduced to jazz music and the art of improvisation. Continuing to explore classical, jazz and original musics throughout her teenage years, her musical path became more defined when she moved to Melbourne in 1993 to attend the Victorian College of the Arts.
During Keller's professional career, she has led many projects as a pianist, whose focus has been to perform her original compositions and arrangements, most notably The Andrea Keller Quartet, The Bartok Project, The Wayne Shorter Project, The Komeda Project, From Ether, and Three Lanes. She was a co-founding member of the original Bennetts Lane Big Band (2001-2013), and is a represented artist of the Australian Music Centre.
Since 1996 Keller has been an active educator in Melbourne’s tertiary jazz & improvisation departments, including the Faculty of the VCA and MCM University of Melbourne, Monash University and Melbourne Polytechnic (formerly NMIT). She has been invited to give workshops at the Australian National Academy of Music, Queensland Conservatorium, Monash University, Perth Jazz Society, Queensland University of Technology, NMIT, VCA, Sydney Conservatorium of Music, and was integral in the annual jazz/improvisation workshops for school aged girls, ‘Girls Do Jazz’, presented by the Melbourne International Women’s Jazz Festival (2000-2007).
The diversity of Keller’s approach to music has seen her perform in settings ranging from big band to solo, and has placed her on stage with artists such as Eddie Perfect, Genevieve Lacey, John Surman (UK), the Black Arm Band, Bernie McGann, the Australian Art Orchestra, Sandy Evans, Flinders Quartet, Allan Browne, Ten Part Invention, Phil Slater, The Song Company, Mike Nock, Gian Slater, Barney McAll, James Crabb, and more.
With a growing body of work traversing styles, Keller has been invited to compose and arrange music for The Song Company (2015), Marshall McGuire (harp)(2015), Zephyr (string) Quartet (2015 & 2014), Black Arm Band (2015, 2014, 2012), Genevieve Lacey & James Crabb Duo (2014), ‘Poetica’ ABC Radio National (2013), Genevieve Lacey (recorder)(2013), Four Winds Festival (2010), ANU Canberra (2010), Claire Edwardes (percussionist)(2010), Melbourne Women’s International Jazz Festival (2010, 2003, 2000), Seraphim Trio (2009), Ten Part Invention (2009), Royal Children’s Hospital (2008), Mike Nock (2002), Australian Art Orchestra (2002).
Lauded for her music, Keller has received three ARIA Awards, four Australian Jazz ‘Bell’ Awards, an Art Music Award, and fellowships from the MCA/Freedman Foundation and the Australia Council. She holds a Bachelor of Music in Improvisation (Honours) from the Victorian College of the Arts (2001) and a Master of Arts (Research) from Queensland University of Technology (2011).
- The Song Company (guest director)(2015)
- The Andrea Keller Quartet/No Tango collaboration (Germany tour)(2014)
- Keller/Murphy/Browne (2003–2015)
- The Komeda Project (2014-)
- The Andrea Keller Quartet (2003–)
- The Company of Pianos (2014-)
- The Black Arm Band (2008–)
- From Ether (2014-)
- Three Lanes (2011-2013)
- Eddie Perfect (2011-2012)
- The Bennetts Lane Big Band (co-founding member)(2001-2013)
- Four Winds Festival (2010)
- National Australian Collaborations Tour (AKQ)(2009)
- John Surman (UK)(2009)
- Ten Part Invention (2009)
- Germany/Denmark /Czech Republic tour (AKQ)(2007)
- Australian Art Orchestra (2006)
- Tim Wilson/Andrea Keller Duo (2006-)
- Allan Browne Trio (2000-2003)
- Scotland/Ireland tour (2003)
- Czech Republic/Scotland tour (2002)
- the Bartok Project (2002-2005)
- Barry Duggan Quartet (2000-2002)
- The Andrea Keller Quintet (1999-2002)
- Brian Browne ensemble (1998-1999)
- Winner of the Australian Jazz ‘Bell’ Award for Best Australian Modern Jazz Album 'Wave Rider'.
- Nominated for the ARIA Award for Best Jazz Album 'Wave Rider'.
- Nominated for the AIR Award for Best Independent Jazz Album 'Wave Rider'.
- Nominated for the Age Music Victoria Genre Award for Best Jazz Album 'Wave Rider'.
- Nominated for the Art Music Award for Excellence in Jazz.
- Nominated for the Australian Jazz 'Bell' Award for Jazz Work of the Year 'Meditations on Light'.
- Nominated for the Art Music Award for Jazz Work of the Year ‘Meditations on Light’.
- Nominated for the ARIA Award for Best Jazz Album 'Family Portraits'.
- Nominated for the Age Music Victoria Genre Award for Best Jazz Album 'Family Portraits'.
- Winner of the Art Music Award for Jazz Work of the Year ‘Affectations’.
- Winner of the Australian Jazz ‘Bell’ Award for Jazz Ensemble of the Year ‘The Andrea Keller Quartet’.
- Nominated for the Australian Jazz 'Bell' Award for Jazz Song of the Year 'Place'.
- Nominated for the Australian Jazz ‘Bell’ Award for Jazz Ensemble of the Year ‘The Andrea Keller Quartet’.
- Awarded a 2-year Australia Council Fellowship.
- Winner of the ARIA Award for Best Jazz Album ‘Footprints’.
- Winner of the Australian Jazz ‘Bell’ Award for Best Australian Contemporary Jazz Album ‘Little Claps’.
- Nominated for the ARIA Award for Best Jazz Album 'Little Claps'.
- Finalist in the Melbourne Prize for Music.
- Finalist in the National Jazz Piano Awards - Wangaratta Jazz Festival.
- Nominated for the ARIA Award for Best Jazz Album 'Angels & Rascals'.
- Winner of the Australian Jazz ‘Bell’ Award for Best Australian Contemporary Jazz Album ‘Mikrokosmos’.
- Winner of the ARIA Award for Best Jazz Album ‘Mikrokosmos’.
- Winner of the ARIA Award for Best Jazz Album ‘Thirteen Sketches’.
- Awarded the inaugural MCA/Freedman Foundation Jazz Fellowship.
- Finalist in the National Jazz Piano Awards - Wangaratta Jazz Festival.
As Leader (pianist, composer & arranger)
- 2013: 'Family Portraits' - Andrea Keller (JazzHead 188)
- 2013:'Wave Rider' - Andrea Keller Quartet with strings (JazzHead 191)
- 2011: ‘Three Lanes’ - Three Lanes (AK001)
- 2009: ‘Galumphing ‘Round the Nation’ The Collaborations Project - Andrea Keller Quartet (JazzHead 127)
- 2008: ‘A Castle for All’ - Hush Collection Volume 8 (Hush 008)
- 2007: ‘Footprints’ The Wayne Shorter Project - Andrea Keller (ABC Jazz 476 6238)
- 2007: ‘Little Claps’ - Andrea Keller Quartet (JazzHead 083)
- 2004: ‘Angels and Rascals’ - The Andrea Keller Quartet (ABC 982 8385)
- 2002: ‘Mikrokosmos’ - Andrea Keller’s Bartok Project (ABC JAZZ 066 204-2)
- 2001: ‘Thirteen Sketches’ - The Andrea Keller Quintet (NEW3081.2)
- 2014: 'Hush Collection volume 14 Live In Concert' (Hush014)
- 2013: 'Connect Four' - Paul Williamson (JazzHead 190)
- 2009: ‘Life That Lingers’ - Tim Wilson and Andrea Keller (Downstream 0905)
- 2007: ‘The Snip’ - Bennetts Lane Big Band (ABC Jazz 476 6237)
- 2006: 'Carried By the Sun' - Keller/Murphy/Browne (JazzHead 072)
- 2005: ‘On the surface in the Core’ - Paul Williamson Sextet (NEW3197.2)
- 2004: ‘In My Head’ - Gian Slater
- 2003: ‘1000 wide’ - Kynan Robinson’s ‘EnRusk’ (NEW3128.2)
- 2003: ‘Mutations’ - Paul Williamson Quartet (NEW321.2)
- 2000: ‘Icedreaming’ - Hustas-Keller (NEW3070)
- 2015: 'Heard This and Thought of You' - James Crabb & Genevieve Lacey (ABC 481 1874)
- 2011: 'Flash' Marimba Miniatures - Claire Edwardes (Tall Poppies TP215)
- 2003: 'Mike Nock's BigSmallBand Live' - Mike Nock's BigSmallBand (ABC 981 567-6)